DPT student at a Tin Caps baseball game

DPT Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to schedule a visit to your facilities?

Absolutely! Prospective applicants and their guests are always welcome to visit the Trine DPT Program, tour our facilities and speak with faculty. Please contact us via email at dpt@trine.edu to schedule your visit.

When will the Trine DPT Program begin accepting applications for the next DPT class?

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.  We have a rolling admissions cycle.

What is the cost of out-of-state tuition for Trine University's DPT program?

Trine University is a private institution so tuition is the same for all students, regardless of their state residency.

Can I apply to the Trine DPT program directly from high school?

Yes. We offer a Direct Entry program to qualified students leading to a bachelor's degree in either exercise science or biology and a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. 

Learn more about the pre-Physical Therapy professional track and Direct Entry program

For those with a bachelor degree, what are the requirements to enter DPT Program?


Those who have earned a bachelor degree from a regionally accredited institution must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and no grade lower than a C. Students must also show evidence the following prerequisite courses will be or have been completed prior to entering into the program:

    • Two courses in biological sciences with labs (excluding botany and zoology)
    • Two courses in general chemistry with labs
    • One course in human anatomy with lab
    • One course in human physiology with lab
    • Two courses in general physics with labs
    • One course in psychology
    • One course in statistics

Application requirements:

In addition to a completed online application, you must submit:

    • Three (3) Letters of Recommendation from three separate sources to include the following:
      • One from a person qualified to evaluate your academic performance (such as a former instructor)
      • One from a licensed physical therapist or physician
      • One from an instructor or healthcare professional who has knowledge of your prior experience and performance.
      • Trine LOR forms (available here) should be used for all letters of recommendation.
    • Completion of at least forty (40) hours of Verified Clinical Observation of Physical Therapy patient care. 
      • Trine COV Forms (available here) are required for all clinical observation verification.

What is the deadline for registration to the DPT Program?

There is no deadline per se for application into the DPT Program, however, the earlier you apply and begin the process the better your chances are to securing an interview and being considered for the next available opening. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis until all seats in the program have been filled.

Is there a fee for applying to the Trine DPT Program?

There is no cost to prospective students to apply to the Trine DPT degree program.

Do I need to pass GRE?

GRE scores are not required.

What does it mean that Trine University is seeking accreditation? Can you explain the accreditation process?

We submitted an application for accreditation candidacy in March 2014 to the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).  On July 29, 2014, we were granted that candidacy and began enrolling students for fall semester 2014. CAPTE requires a final review of the program, which will occur as our first class is completing their final semester. Before their graduation, a final decision will be made based on the review results. A favorable review will result in Trine being awarded full CAPTE accreditation.

When selecting applicants for the Trine DPT program, are Trine students given special consideration?

Yes, Trine students are given special consideration.

Can I transfer from another DPT program to the Trine DPT program?

No. Students coming from other programs may apply for acceptance into the program, but they must begin with the first semester and complete the full DPT curriculum.

I am a PTA, can I transfer some credits from the courses I took in the past?
  Are any of the classes from my PTA degree eligible for transfer toward the admission requirement?

In order to answer this question, we need to know the institution that conferred the PTA degree and the courses that need to be considered for the admission requirements. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance

Where is the DPT program located?

Our Program is located at 1819 Carew St., Fort Wayne, IN 46805, between the campuses of Parkview Randallia hospital and the VA hospital.

What is the expected tuition cost?

Tuition will be for six spring and fall semesters at approximately $14,040 each, and two summer semesters at approximately $5,200 each. There will also be lab fees and required textbooks. 

For details, please visit our Cost and Investment page.

How many students are accepted into the Trine DPT program yearly?

Thirty-two (32) students are accepted each year to begin the DPT program.

What does the pre-physical therapy major mean? Will I be able to graduate with a degree in physical therapy from Trine or does that mean that at a certain point I will have to transfer?

We have two pre-physical therapy majors:

    • Exercise Science / Pre-PT, and
    • Biology / Pre-PT.

These majors prepare a student for the Trine graduate physical therapy program and result in a bachelor's of science degree in either Exercise Science or Biology. These majors are for students who are accepted into the six-year plan of study for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. 

To be accepted

    • You must have a 3.5 HS GPA, 
    • You must be in the top 25 percent of your class academically, and
    • You must have an ACT score of at least 25 or an SAT score of at least 1,150.                     

If you are not eligible for these pre-PT majors, you can still enroll in any undergraduate major and complete the courses required for application to the DPT program. These courses are similar or the same as the requirements of most DPT programs. Completion of the prerequisites is most easily accomplished in the Biology and Exercise Science undergraduate majors.

I am currently filling out the online application for the DPT program, and I have a question what the highest degree is that I have earned. Should I put "high school" or "Bachelor of Science" since that is what I will have prior to entering the DPT program?

You should indicate your current highest earned degree. We will review all transcripts to determine if a student is likely to hold a bachelor's degree in time to enter the DPT program.

Can I work while I am in DPT school?   

Due to the time intensive nature of the program, employment is discouraged.

Can I go to PT school part-time?

No. This is a three-year, full-time program.

Does Trine provide housing for DPT students?

Not at this time. Students will need to secure their housing from one of the many options in the Fort Wayne area,

Does Trine award scholarships for students enrolled in the DPT program?

No. We do not currently have the funding to support DPT scholarships.

What are the requirements for financial aid at Trine?

Financial aid questions should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid located at the main Trine campus in  Angola. Contact information is as follows:

Call: 260.665.4158 or 800.347.4878
Fax: 260.665.4511
Email: finaid@trine.edu

Office hours are Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.

Does my degree in physical therapy allow me to practice physical therapy?

No. The degree in physical therapy is a requirement to sit for the state licensure examination. State licensure is required to practice physical therapy.

What are the requirements to practice as a physical therapist?

In order to practice as a licensed physical therapist in the United States, an individual must be a graduate of a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and pass a licensure examination. Completion of an accredited program does not automatically guarantee that the individual can practice as a physical therapist.