- Policy on High School Diploma and Validity [ PDF ]
- Direct Loan Policy on Graduating Semester [ PDF ]
- Course Repeat Policy [ PDF ]
- VA Certification Policy [ PDF ]
- Outside Scholarship Policy [ PDF ]
- On to Off Campus Policy [ PDF ]
- Withdrawal Policy [ PDF ]
- Policy on Active Duty Deployment [ PDF ]
- Financial Aid Fraud Policy [ PDF ]
SAP Policy (effective July 1, 2011)
Please click the link below to review the most recent Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.
- Main Campus SAP Policy [ PDF ]
Verification for Policy Main Campus Students
In compliance with CFR 668, Subpart E, Trine University will verify at least 30 percent of the Financial Aid applicants. This Process is called “Verification” by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE). A FA applicant at Trine University is defined as a recipient of Federal Title IV Aid who enrolled during the award year. If a student's FAFSA application is selected for verification, he/she must complete the verification process or forfeit federal student aid. Notifications will be sent to the student that outlines the information that is required of them and where to submit the information to. Verification of required documents is generally completed within two weeks after submission of all documents. During peak periods (June to September) more time should be allowed.
- Household size
- Number in college
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) for both student and parent’s
- U. S. Taxes Paid for both student’s and parent’s
- Certain Types of Untaxed income and benefits
- Child Support
- IRA/Keogh Deductions
- Tax-exempt interest
- Untaxed portions of IRA distribution
- Untaxed portions of pensions
- Payments to tax-deferred pension/savings plans (found on W-2)
- Child support received
- Housing/food/living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy and others
- Veterans non-educational benefits
- Other items such as workers' compensation/disability
The university does not verify spouse information if any of the following conditions apply:
- The spouse is deceased or mentally or physically incapacitated.
- The spouse is residing in a country other than the United States and can't be contacted by normal means.
The Financial Aid Office does not verify a dependent student's application if any of the following conditions applies:
- The student's parents are deceased or mentally or physically incapacitated. (If both parents are dead, the student is an orphan and thus is an independent student. If the parents die after the student has applied, the student must update his or her dependency status.)
- The parents are residing in a country other than the United States and can't be contacted by normal means.
The Financial Aid Office will document the basis for this exclusion in the student's file. These exclusions do not affect any other part of required verification; the selected application must still be verified according to all other requirements.
The Financial Aid Office will not require verification documents if the student is only receiving Unsubsidized Stafford or PLUS Loans. A student cannot avoid the verification requirements by choosing to borrow an Unsubsidized Loan instead of a Subsidized Loan.
The Financial Aid Office will require verification documents even if previously submitted to another school for the award year. This ensures the accuracy of our information when audited.
The university does not verify the selected application of a student who is either
- A legal resident of Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or
- A citizen of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.
To qualify for this exclusion, a dependent student's parents must also be citizens of one of these former territories. As documentation, the permanent mailing address will be noted in the student's file.
Students who withdraw from Trine before completing the verification process have 14 calendar days after withdrawing to complete the verification process to be eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the student does not complete the process no aid will disburse in the post withdraw process.
Students who are not recipients of federal student aid are not required to submit verification documents.
Verification Worksheet Other Documentation in lieu
Verification Item Tax Return(s) of worksheet or Tax Return
*Household Size Required........................ Signed Statement
*Number Enrolled Required........................ Signed Statement and/or
*AGI & Taxes Paid Required........................Signed IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ Forms or tax transcript, other signed federal forms/schedules and all W2's
*Untaxed income required........................ Official Agency Documentation
The 2010-11Dependent Verification Worksheet is required for students whose parental information was needed to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
The 2010-11 Independent Verification Worksheet is required for students whose parental information was not needed to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
If the student/spouse/parent are not required to file a federal tax return, please indicate this on the FAFSA and also on the back page of the verification worksheet.
If the student/parent is married and filed separate returns we will require both tax forms to be turned into our office.
For those students/parents that have filed for a tax extension, you will need to submit your tax filing extension form and signed copies of the W-2’s. Once your federal taxes have been filed, you will need to submit those to our office for processing.
If the student selected for verification does not provide the required documentation by their deadline, then the university cannot:
- Disburse any FSEOG funds to the student.
- Allow the student to continue employment in an FWS (Federal Work-Study) job.
- Certify a Stafford Loan application for the student.
- Disburse Stafford Loan funds to the student.
- Future registration of classes may be delayed.
During peak periods (June to September), it may take a minimum of 5 business days for documents to be reviewed and logged into our system. Students may track the documents by logging onto their My Trine FA account to see the updated status of their forms after the 5 business days have passed. E-mail notifications will be sent within 2 weeks if additional information is required. Students may also view outstanding requirements on their My Trine FA account.
To check your missing/incomplete documents:
- Log onto My Trine FA
- Select Documents from the top tab
- Scroll to the bottom to see the list of “Your Documents”
- Review the Status to see if we have received it
- Review the Status Date to see the date that it has been received by our office
- Hover over the form to see if you can access it on line – if so you can download it to be completed
If it is determined that a student has received funds which they were not eligible to receive, the student must repay the amount. If a repayment is not made, the overpayment must be referred to the U.S. Department of Education or Trine University's Financial Aid Office.
- All tax documents submitted should be from 2009 for the 10-11 FAFSA and accepted tax documents include:
- Signed Federal 1040
- Signed Federal 1040A
- Signed Federal 1040EZ
- Signed IRS tax return transcript (a free document from the IRS and can be requested by calling 1-800-829-1040)
- Signed Puerto Rican tax return
- E-file or Tax Extensions will not be accepted for verification
- State tax forms are not accepted for verification
- IRS tax summaries will not be accepted for verification
- All submitted tax forms must be signed
- If the student/parent/spouse was not required to file taxes under federal regulations, all W-2 forms and/or income statements (taxed and untaxed) should be submitted in place of the tax return
- Forms received by fax will not be processed if received with missing signatures, incomplete, or not legible. Please allow 3 business days prior to calling our office to follow up with any form that was faxed to our office
- All information is legible, signed, and completely filled out
- Federal tax returns and/or income statements are from 2009 for the 10-11 FAFSA
- The student tax return is signed by the student
- The spouse tax return is signed by the spouse, if married and filed separately
- The parent tax return is signed by the parent
- The Verification Worksheet is signed by the student
- The Verification Worksheet is signed by the parent on the FAFSA
- The Verification Worksheet is filled completely (2 pages – front and back)
If the forms contain incomplete or missing information, there will be a delay of 3-4 weeks in processing the student's financial aid.
Submission of Verification
When completed, the verification documents should be sent to Trine’s Office of Financial Aid in one of the following ways:
Office of Financial Aid
1 University Ave
Angola, IN 46703
Or Fax to:
Or Deliver to: