Financial Aid AdvisorEmployee Type: Full Time Location: Angola, IN Experience: Prefer Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university, and two or more years of successful financial aid/advising or related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Did you know: U.S. News and World Report ranks Trine among the Midwest's Best Colleges.
The Financial Aid Advisor reports directly to the Director of Financial Aid, and will assist in all areas of financial aid to include Title IV programs (Direct Loans, Pell, TEACH etc.), institutional programs and all other aid as it relates to the financial aid program. The Financial Aid Advisor is an integral part of the team responsible for coordinating default prevention measures, monitoring degree completion requirements and also handles day-to-day operations of the Office of Financial Aid that are outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Financial Aid Advisor works and contributes through a team-oriented approach to collaborate with the Director of Financial Aid in the overall planning and operations of Trine's financial aid programs, including Financial Aid Planning, application and FAFSA processing, advising, and policy and communication development, all direct and private loan counseling, monitoring degree completion requirements for all students and any other functions deemed necessary to the department. The Financial Aid Advisor handles day-to-day operations within the office to include managing institutional policy, coordinating campus outreach programs, and Title IV Grant and the Direct Loan Programs. In addition to these responsibilities, the Advisor will work collaboratively with all areas within the University to enhance and support the financial aid programs; and assists the Director in planning, implementation and evaluation of all programs and efforts. Other duties as assigned by the Director are not limited to the following:
- Counsel students and their families on financial aid processes and procedures, including making presentations for orientations, open houses, campus visits etc.
- Evening hours and weekends may be required as needed.
- Financial Aid packaging to include – Verifications, Loan Certifications- Revisions and all other packaging processes related to Financial Aid
- Ensure federal & state guidelines for student enrollment and financial aid eligibility are met
- Counsel students to determine financial aid needs /options
- Ensure compliance with federal & state policies
- Manage "Entrance / Exit" Loan counseling sessions with students
- Manage default management program campus wide
- Outreach to students on loan repayment, default prevention
- Manage the review process for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of every academic term
- Monitor degree completion requirements as they pertain to aid programs
- Interact with outside agencies including the DOE and loan processing companies
- Provide direct customer support by routinely visiting with students during SOAR, Senior Salute, Visits, Loan Counseling Sessions, Default Management Seminars and any other times that a student needs financial assistance.
- Keep students engaged with the University and supports retention, communication, and academic rehabilitation.
- Update and verify entrance and exit counseling.
- Review default reports for errors.
- Counsel students on use of National Student Loan Database System to track loan history, lenders and servicers.
- Research and make use of best debt management tools.
- Guide campus awareness of student loan counseling and financial literacy
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have an appreciation for the value of a liberal arts and sciences education, a valid driver's license, enthusiasm for and ability to do minimal traveling, experience and skill working with computers and software programs (e.g. PowerFaids, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Jenzebar/EX, etc.), and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual should be self-motivated and have the ability to effectively prioritize tasks to meet deadlines required. This position requires an individual to exhibit strong organizational skills and be detail oriented. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills: Individual must be fluent with the English language.
- Mathematical Skills: Individual must possess adequate mathematical skills.
- Reasoning Ability: Individual must possess adequate reasoning skills.
- Computer Skills: Individual must possess above average computer skills with various software applications relative to this position.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts.
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match.
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1 ½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children.
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy.
See plan documents for benefit details.
Salary will be based on qualifications.
Are you ready to join Trine? Click to apply
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.