Our story is a powerful one. For nearly 130 years now, Trine University has been producing graduates who have literally gone out and changed the world for the better through their knowledge, innovation, and work. And it's a story that continues to evolve every day.
Trine is founded as Tri-State Normal College by the citizens of Angola, Indiana, and the Commerce Building—now known as Taylor Hall—is constructed as the College’s first facility.
The Administration Building, later known as the Sniff Administration Building and now the recently renovated C.W. Sponsel Administration Center, is completed at a cost of $15,000.
The School of Engineering, which today is recognized among the finest undergraduate schools of engineering in the country, is established.
The school reorganizes from Tri-State Normal College and revises the name to Tri-State College, which it will be known as for more than 100 years. Two years later the College completes its third facility, the Recitation Building, now known as Shambaugh Hall.
The “Father of Tri-State” Littleton M. Sniff, who served as the College’s president since 1885, dies in office.
The Administration Building is gutted by fire, and is later rebuilt with the third floor removed.
Professor Emeritus Dr. Allice Parrot authors and publishes The History of Tri-State College 1884-1956.
The College’s campus undergoes massive expansion, with the addition of seven residence halls, the Perry T. Ford Library, Best Hall, and Hershey Hall. In 1967 the College changes its athletic nickname from the Tri-State Engineers to the Trojans.
Zollner Golf Course opens on the Tri-State campus, and will eventually become one of the most beautiful and popular college golf courses in the country.
Tri-State College gains university status and is renamed Tri-State University.
A century after the College’s founding, Professor Elizabeth Orlosky authors and publishes From Carriage to Computer, the First 100 Years of Tri-State University.
The University changes the nickname of its sports teams from the Tri-State Trojans to the Thunder.
The University opens its Fort Wayne, Indiana education center, followed a few years later with centers in South Bend and Merrillville, as well as the offering of an evening program at the main campus in Angola.
For the first time since the early 1900s, a Tri-State football team takes the field in intercollegiate play.
The University completes a $5 million renovation of Fawick Hall, offering engineering students state-of-the-art classrooms, labs, and computer centers.
Shive Field, Tri-State’s new football field, is dedicated, named in honor of University Trustee Dr. Wayne Shive. Today, the field is arguably the finest Division III artificial turf field in the country.
Earl D. Brooks II, Ph.D., is inaugurated as Tri-State’s 16th president.
The University renovates Centennial Hall and renames it Forman Hall, with the building’s grand entrance named the Trine Welcome Center.
Tri-State is accepted as a new member in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA), the University celebrates its 100th anniversary of excellence in engineering, Witmer Clubhouse is renovated and expanded, and the University receives approval as a graduate degree-granting institution.
Tri-State attains an NCAA Division III provisional membership, opens the $650,000 Ketner Sports Complex, expands the University bookstore, and opens the Trine Villas, offering some of the finest student residence facilities of their kind.
The University graduates its first class of Master of Science in Engineering Technology students, opens the Ingledue Villas, and breaks ground on the $15.5 million Rick L. and Vicki L. James University Center and Center for Technology and Online Resources.
In the most successful Homecoming weekend in its history, the University unveils the Rick L. and Vicki L. James University Center and Center for Technology and Online Resources; the renovated C.W. Sponsel Administration Center; and the University Center, Moss Street, and Kinney Street student apartments.
Tri-State is renamed Trine University, after trustees Drs. Ralph and Sheri Trine, to better define its mission and direction, and construction begins on Golf Course Village, four new student apartment buildings on Zollner Golf Course.
Trine opens the Athletic and Recreation Center (ARC), breaks ground on the transformation of Shive Field into the Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium, and begins renovations on the T. Furth Center for Performing Arts.
Trine opens Fred Zollner Stadium, launches a Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering program, and opens the School of Professional Studies site in Logansport, Indiana.
Trine completes of the Jim and Joan Bock Center for Innovation and Biomedical Engineering. The building features state-of-the-art cast metals laboratories, materials science and metallurgy laboratories, alternative energy studies center, and bioprocess laboratories. It is also the home of Innovation One.
Hundreds join Trine University on the morning of May 2, 2014, to dedicate the new T. Furth Center for Performing Arts. Later that day, the Furth Center officially opened with a concert by award-winning writer and country singer Lee Greenwood.