Mission and objectives
The mission of the civil engineering program at Trine University is to provide graduates with quality preparation for the practice of civil engineering, to provide graduates with opportunities to pursue graduate studies, and to provide technical and educational services to their profession and communities. The following educational objectives have been developed for the civil engineering program at Trine University:
- Graduates have the ability to effectively prepare and present written and verbal proposals, design reports, drawings and other technical information to a diverse audience.
- Graduates understand the importance of teamwork and leadership in executing projects including their role within the team and their impact on the scope, budget, and schedule of the project.
- Graduates can effectively use state of the practice engineering tools.
- Graduates can analyze and design a structure, system or process, taking into consideration the legal, ethical and other societal impacts of the design.
- Graduates take an active role in professional development including achieving professional licensure and active participation in professional societies.
Graduates are engaged in business aspects of the profession including marketing, budgeting, client or public interaction, and contracting.
The Civil Engineering Curriculum
The curriculum requires the completion of 132 hours of course work in the subject areas listed below. The average course load is 15-18 hours based on eight semesters.
Written Communication - 6 hrs.
Oral Communication - 3 hrs.
Social Sciences & Humanities - 12 hrs.
Computer Literacy - 3 hrs.
Mathematics & Science - 36 hrs.
Freshman Studies - 1 hr.
Engineering Science - 17 hrs.
Civil Engineering Analysis and Design - 35 hrs.
Civil Engineering Electives - 9 hrs.
Professional Development - 10 hrs.
* For a complete description of the above requirements, please go to the Course Catalog.
* Also available, minor in Environmental and Structural Engineering.
* For a sample of how your class schedule might look - click Here