Professor and student

International Health Insurance

It is Trine University policy that all international students and scholars have medical health insurance and evacuation/repatriation coverage. It is the student's and scholar's responsibility to comply with University and Federal regulations as they relate to health insurance.

F-1 students are required to have medical health insurance and evacuation/repatriation coverage each semester they are registered. However, F-1 students and their dependents are strongly encouraged to maintain insurance coverage at all times.

J-1 students and their dependents are required to have medical health insurance and evacuation/repatriation at all times.

System Requirements for International Student Health Insurance

Trine University partners with International Student Insurance, who offers coverage for students on the J-1 and F-1 visa (even those on OPT), as well as scholars. Those students who wish to have another plan must show proof of the following requirements:

  • For each semester you are registered, through graduation date, you are required to have health insurance coverage;
  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
  • Medical evacuation to one's home country of at least $10,000;
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Documents must be submitted to the Office of International Community Services in English or translated into English by a certified translator. All financial information must be stated in US dollars or converted to US dollars along with proof of conversion accuracy.