Steuben County Community Impact
Since 1884, when it was founded in Angola as Tri-State Normal College, Trine University has had a positive impact on Steuben County by educating its students, providing jobs and raising the quality of life in the area. While it would be impossible to chronicle all the benefits Trine provides for the county – from the many students who find their life’s calling through a Trine education to the visiting elementary school students inspired to seek a college education through Walk into My Future – we have attempted, as much as possible, to compile statistics to give some hard numbers to the university’s impact.
Here are just a few highlights:
- According to standards used by the Independent Colleges of Indiana, Trine University had about $100 million in regional economic impact last year. As of Fall 2016, the university had 226 full-time, 156 part-time and 177 student employees.
- Trine University fraternities and sororities contributed more than 12,700 community service hours during the 2015-16 school year and raised more than $45,000 for charity.
- 362 Steuben County residents were enrolled at Trine University in Fall 2016.
- A survey of Trine University employees showed the average employee provides five hours of community service each week and contributes nearly $3,500 annually to charitable causes. Trine University’s Innovation One has completed or partnered on many projects that have benefitted Steuben County businesses and individuals and been part of efforts to bring new industries to Steuben County.
- More than 3,000 students attended camps held on the Trine University campus during the summer of 2016.
- About 13,000 rounds of golf are played by the general public on the university’s Zollner Golf Course each year.
- Nearly 40,000 fans attended athletic events at Trine during the 2015-16 seasons.
- More than 2,000 people attended concerts by professional artists on the Trine campus last year, and about 3,500 each year attend free concerts performed by Trine’s music ensembles.
If you would like to learn more, download the complete report.