BS Civil Engineering
The Civil and Environmental Engineering department at Trine University provides BIG university opportunities in a small, student friendly environment. Like big state schools, each of the five major disciplines in the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering is represented well in our curriculum and our faculty. Introductory courses for each of the five disciplines are required courses, so students develop a broad Civil Engineering foundation. Several senior level design courses are also available in each of the five disciplines, allowing students to focus their education on the areas of Civil Engineering that interest them most.
Civil Engineering Disciplines and our Faculty Experts:
- Structural Engineering - William Barry, Ph.D., P.E.
- Structural Engineering - Gary Greene, Ph.D., P.E.
- Geotechnical Engineering - Tim Tyler, Ph.D., P.E.
- Transportation Engineering - Ryan Overton, Ph.D., P.E.
- Environmental Engineering - Jeremy Rentz, Ph.D
- Water Resources Engineering - T.J. Murphy
Hands-on learning every student will encounter as an integral part of the curriculum:
- Small classes with a 30 student maximum
- Active learning strategies employed in the classroom
- Faculty with open door policies that know your name
- Ten courses with integrated laboratories
- Engineering site visits
- Design projects in upper level civil engineering courses
- Capstone senior design project
Additional hands-on development opportunities available to all civil engineering students:
- Design Competitions
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) student group
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) student group
- Engineers Without Boarders (EWB) student group
- Engineering Internships
- Cooperative Work Experience
- Undergraduate Research
Trine civil engineering graduates are highly sought after regionally and nationally, with a solid and growing reputation. By the year 2020, significant job growth is also expected in the field adding 19% more civil engineers and 22% more environmental engineers (The Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Civil Engineering graduates from Trine University are able to:
- Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Obtain exciting and well-paying jobs in the discipline of their choice
- Get accepted for graduate studies (masters and/or doctoral)
- Pass the Principles of Engineering (PE) exam
- Become a licensed Professional Engineer (PE)