BS in Health and Physical Education
Graduates employed last 7 yrs.
Average major class size
Clinical hours during program
Health and physical education: Strengthening the mind and body
With youth obesity rates climbing and an increasing number of students suffering from physical, emotional and mental disorders, health and physical education is more important than ever. The Bachelor of Science with a major in health and physical education program at Trine University prepares you to equip youth with the skills to maintain and improve health throughout the rest of their lives.
The degree: Learning and teaching about the human body
The Bachelor of Science with a major in health and physical education program allows you to understand the theory and practice behind developing a healthy lifestyle, combined with Trine University’s education core to prepare you to teach in classrooms from preschool to grade 12. This program also includes built-in minors in coaching and exercise science to prepare students for involvement in their schools’ athletic department and strength and conditioning programs.
The Bachelor of Science with a major in health and physical education program is part of Trine University’s Center for Sports Studies.
The experience: Training in health, strength and conditioning, plus extensive classroom time
As a health and physical education major, you will learn the science of the human body and gain foundational knowledge for healthy living. You will also take a variety of courses designed to prepare you to take national strength and conditioning certification upon graduation.
Like all Franks School of Education programs, extensive field experiences in diverse settings are required beginning in the first year of coursework. You will spend more than 800 hours in clinical settings from elementary through high school prior to graduation.
Teaching in completely redesigned campus classrooms, our passionate and student-centered faculty come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, all related to classroom teaching, advanced research and preparing future teachers. Our academically rigorous teacher education program focuses on:
- Student-centered instruction in a safe learning environment
- Evidence-based instructional strategies
- Classroom management techniques
- Innovative integration of classroom and gym technology
The result: Be prepared for your teaching career
Graduates from the Franks School of Education have demonstrated high levels of success, including:
- 100 percent of recently surveyed principals indicated that Franks School of Education provided teacher training that was relevant, effective, and improved P-12 student learning.
- 100 percent of recently surveyed graduates indicated that Franks School of Education provided teacher training that was relevant, effective, and improved P-12 student learning.
- 100 percent of graduates shared they would recommend others coming to Trine University to become a teacher.
Franks School of Education News
Department of Humanities and Communication announces awards
Trine faculty earn university awards