Assistant/Associate Professor - Civil Engineering
Assistant/Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Employee Type: Full Time
Location: Angola, Indiana
Allen School of Engineering and Computing, Reiners Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Civil Engineering at the level of Assistant/Associate Professor beginning on or about January 2, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will have a background in transportation engineering, but exceptionally qualified applicants with other areas of civil engineering expertise may be considered. The successful candidate will be asked to teach, at the undergraduate level, a variety of general engineering, engineering science, and upper-level transportation engineering courses and labs including introduction to transportation engineering, highway geometric design, and surveying.
The successful candidate will possess the ability and willingness to develop into an excellent teacher, interested in both their students and their subjects. They must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education. The Faculty Member should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and want students to excel and take pleasure in their success. Fair discipline, attention to duty, and desire for self-improvement are expected traits of Trine University Faculty members.
The Faculty Member should bring experience with, and commitment to:
- Promotion of academic program(s)
- Assessing student competence and performance
- Service to the university
- Attending faculty meetings and participating in faculty committees
- Student recruiting, and retention (in conjunction with Admissions)
- Service to the community
- Activities leading to professional development and growth
- Scholarship, which could include current and relevant publications, and attending and participating in conferences and seminars
- Exemplary personal conduct—students and colleagues recognize the faculty member as a true professional in the highest sense of the term
In addition the Faculty Member must provide the following essential duties:
- Teach the standard faculty load of twelve (12) semester hours per semester or twenty-four (24) semesters hours per academic year
- Develop and implement curriculum, including selecting textbooks
- Provide instruction (teach class) for the class length listed in the official schedule
- Provide each student with a course syllabus
- Review course syllabus with students at the first class session
- At a minimum, prepare and grade a midterm and a final exam or project for each course
- Record class attendance
- Submit absentee and deficiency information to Academic Support Services via the Intranet site
- Post and maintain a regular schedule of at least ten (10) office hours per week—one office hour shall be scheduled per week for each credit hour of instruction
- Assist students with academic deficiencies
- Assist the chair in departmental functions
- Participate in developing or implementing the department strategic plan
- Advise prospective and current students about curriculum and career opportunities
The Faculty Member will also be responsible and accountable for additional duties and assignments as prescribed by the respective Department Chair and School Dean.
A Ph.D. in civil engineering or a related engineering field is preferred. Professional registration is required within six years of appointment for full promotion.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
Full-time, faculty-line salary and benefit schedule.
Are you ready to join Trine?
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.