Grad hat

BS English/Language Arts Education

The Bachelor of science with a major in english/language arts education seeks to provide, upon graduation, highly effective practitioners prepared to teach English and language arts in a grade 5-12 setting. It also meets a national and regional need for highly qualified English and language arts teachers.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s most recent Occupational Outlook Handbook, “From 2014 to 2024, a significant number of older teachers will reach retirement age. Their retirement will create job openings for new teachers.” In March 2015, the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education’s Teacher Shortage Areas 1990-1991 through 2015-2016 indicated that Indiana reported English/language arts as a shortage area in 2011-12. The states of Michigan and Ohio show similar need.

Strong English foundation with field experience

The Bachelor of science with a major in english/language arts education at Trine University includes courses in composition, literature, creative writing, reading, mythology and communication. You will spend over 800 hours in field experiences prior to graduation. The Franks School of Education program includes rigorous learning experiences guided by faculty in both the arts and sciences as well as in the school of education.

Be prepared for your teaching career

In 2017, 100 percent of superintendents and principals surveyed indicated that Franks School of Education graduates were more prepared as first-year teachers compared to other college. Graduates from the Franks School of Education have a high level of job placement, with 100% of graduates employed or in graduate school over the past four years. In addition to classroom teaching, students have obtained other educationally related positions, and still others go on to complete master's degrees. Feedback from school administrators consistently refers to how well the Trine University teacher education graduates are prepared to begin teaching from day one in the classroom and how effective these teachers are far beyond graduation.

Indiana Department of Education

Special education licensure

Trine University offers special education licensure programs for preschool through 12th grade, allowing certain secondary education programs to add special education licensure to an existing content area within their four-year degree program at Trine. If you are interested in pursuing special education licensure, talk to your faculty advisor.

Additional Information

Area school districts where students participate in field experiences and student teaching include, though are not limited to:

  • Bronson Community Schools (Michigan)
  • Coldwater Community Schools (Michigan)
  • Sturgis Community Schools (Michigan)
  • MSD of Steuben County Schools (Indiana)
  • Prairie Heights Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Hamilton Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Fremont Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Fort Wayne Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Garrett, Keyser Butler Community Schools (Indiana)
  • DeKalb County Central United School District (Indiana)
  • DeKalb Eastern Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Quincy Community Schools (Michigan)
  • Edgerton Local School District (Ohio)
  • Edon-Northwest Local School District (Ohio)
  • Central Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
  • East Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
  • West Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
  • Lakeland Community Schools (Indiana)

Information about tuition can be found at Cost and Investment.